Emmanuella RopoCelebrates New Life, New Year, New Circle

Best adjectives to describe her would be Beautiful, Bold, and Brilliant. Or how does one describe the Otun Iyalode of Igbehin in Abeokuta, Ogun State? She is Chief (Mrs) Emmanuella Ropo and the Chief Executive Officer, Party Dreams Ltd. Indeed, she is definitely a beauty to behold. Youthful with much zest, an encounter with her erodes many misconceptions that had surrounded her personality before this interview. First, she isn’t the proud fashionista. Fondly called Ella, she would tell you that she has a humble beginning and leaves no room for pride. Secondly, whatever negative news went down in the media about her and the highly revered Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, have proved to be concocted lies by undesirable elements whose evil minds have brought them down to the lowest ebb of life. ‘God has vindicated me, I’ve moved on and those that perpetrated the lies are gone into extinction. I’m a happily married woman now,” she said. Surprised at this revelation, come lets read more about Emmanuella Ropo whose birthday is today, January 1
Owambevibes: Happy birthday to you. How does it feel celebrating your birthday today? I’ve always looked forward to January 1st of every year. As a child, I saw every celebration as my birthday. But on the other hand, I didn’t like it because everyone would be on holidays and I would not have a chance to celebrate with my friends in school. So, I would cleverly ask my mum to help keep presents that I would take to my friends in school when we resume the following week. In all, I thank God that I am seeing another year in good health and I have no cause for concern. Glory be to God.
Owambevibes: Do you have birthday wishes today? Birthday wishes? Oh! I just want to thank God for his mercies over my life, my husband, my children, my family members and all that pertains to me. In this Covid-19 pandemic, one cannot wish for anything but God’s help. All the wishes for 2020, where are they? My prayer is for God to do His will in our lives, bless my family, home and business.
Owambevibes: Talking about business, how did you start the company, Party Dreams? I’ve always loved beautiful things and everyone thought I’d go for interior decorations. But I ended up with children’s party planning and accessories. It was actually a friend, who advised me that since I loved kids and all that have to do with them, why didn’t I have a business that would address that? I jumped at the idea and got a small store in Ogba, Lagos. That was 13 years ago and here we are today. Party Dreams is centred on planning kids birthday parties and we sell all party decorations. However, lately, we diversified into kids clothing, shoes and other fashion accessories. Now, with God’s Grace, that has also got bigger than what we envisaged. Moreover, I realized that our premises is spacious and we also made use of one of my stores to sell imported liquors. But what most people don’t know is that I do a little bit of FOREX and I have done this for many years.
Owambevibes: How was growing up like? I am a local girl from Abeokuta. Many people who know me would tell you that I love travelling to Abeokuta. Anyways, I was born in Abeokuta. Then, my parents lived in Lagos but when my grandmother died, my parents went for the funerals in Abeokuta. I was told that my mother, who was pregnant then, fell into labour. That was how I became an Abeokuta baby on January 1. I was christened Emmanuella Oladunjoye by my father but the current Alake of Egbaland (then he was not a king) named me Morounropo.
Owambevibes: Are your parents still alive? My father is alive and he is 81 years old. But my mum died 11 years ago. My dad retired from Nigerian Ports Authority but became a customary judge after retirement. My mum hailed from Igede Ekiti. She was a princess. I attended school in Abeokuta. I later attended Yaba College of Technology where I read Estate Management.
Owambevibes: So, your love for Abeokuta made you accept the chieftaincy title of Otun Iyalode of Igbehin? I love my culture, African heritage and my town. Igbehin consists of 400 township and we are a good people. My title, Otun Iyalode, is not a honourary title but a traditional conferment that has to do with our roots. Mind you, my parents also hold traditional titles. For those thinking that I am too young to be Iyalode, let me reveal that my dad, who holds over 13 traditional titles became a chief before he married my mum. I’m not too young to be a chief.
Owambevibes: Are you the firstborn? No, I am the fifth of seven kids and I am the extrovert amongst all. Others prefer their privacy and are abroad.
Owambevibes: You love parties, I always see you in some high-profile functions? No, I don’t love parties but I get lots of invites to parties and it’s not every invite that I honour. That you find me at parties doesn’t make me a party freak. I’m attractive and even when I want to be simple, my looks give me away. Owambevibes: But you have lots of friends who attend parties with you? I don’t have friends, but acquaintances. Friends have dealt with me in a nasty way and I am scared getting close to anyone again. I don’t want friends again. My definition of friendship is beyond going to parties together or taking photos together. Bode Majekodunmi is the only person I can call my friend but he has now turned my brother. A friend is one who has your back always. A friend wouldn’t talk negatively about you.
Owambevibes: Was this due to the nasty experience you had a few years back in the media? Yes, it is. That experience shaped my life anew. Everyone has a private life and wouldn’t want it exposed no matter who is involved. All they wrote about me, the Ooni of Ife, my marriage and kids were all lies. Those who wrote the story knew who sponsored them. The sponsors also know why they did what they did—it was born out of envy and jealousy. The outcome of the whole saga paid off for me anyways. Today, I am happily married to someone who loves and cares for me. My kids are cool and I have moved on. The experience gave me a lot of drive and push. I am still on the ladder that I am climbing to success. On the other hand, maybe it made me popular and I now walk with my head high whenever I am at any public function. I would notice that people stare at me saying, ‘she is the one.’ I know whatever they wrote never happened. Maybe if there wasn’t that publication, I would not have met my husband. To those that wrote it, I say, ‘Thank you.’
Owambevibes: What are those lessons learnt? I have learnt my lessons, I don’t talk to anybody about myself again. Now, I think through things before I do or say them and I don’t give room for friendship. Owambevibes: What would be your advice to young people who aspire to succeed like you? First, be humble and don’t ignore small beginnings. I am from an average and not rich family. When I started this business 13 years ago, it was small but today, I have it on a huge property. While it grew, I didn’t allow my social life to affect whatever I did in business. Though there were challenges, my passion for the business kept me going. Also, I would tell young people to be contented with what they have. I’m just in my 40s and still aspire to be more successful but not at the detriment of others. I am contented with what I have. I started my business and it took me like two years before I could bring a 40ft container into the country.
Owambevibes: But you have a wealthy spouse now? Well, I have always been a hard-worker, even when there was no man. I still think that ladies shouldn’t be thinking of making money from men. I don’t see men as the source of any woman’s money. Even if a man gives you money and you start a business without knowing the intricacies, then you will fail. When you slay, you work hard too. I do that too and I must have gotten that trait from my mum.
Owambevibes: How do you merge being a wife, mum and businesswoman? To me, family is important. I have remarried and I have a new family. That also means that I don’t have to be hobnobbing with everybody because I have to keep my home. Envy, jealousy and backstabbing from friends crashed my first marriage that produced three lovely kids. Now, my attention is on my husband and kids—no more friends. Even when I go to parties, it’s in moderation because I have to make my husband’s meals. I love my husband and I have to care for him. I love to cook. I find it easy cooking and working in the kitchen. I cook for my spouse and nobody does that for me. Owambevibes: You are fashionable with a taste for quality, what inspires your dressing? What I wear is inspired by my mood and the event I am attending. There are days I want to go all glammed up and there are days I want to be simple and dress casually. I love good jewellery too and I do my beads myself. I also do for my clients.
Owambevibes: You look great for a mum of three, what do you eat? I eat more of veggies, more of fish, less of beef and I have cut down on my carbs especially in the evening. Owambevibes: Your skin is lovely…? I scrub my skin a lot. I use a good oil-based moisturizer, with vitamin c. I don’t use harsh creams on my body because I have always looked like this from a child.

Comments

Popular Posts