How Jamond Jewellery Became First Among Equals—SAI

Everyone calls her SAI. Pretty, petite and a precious sight to behold, she was born Saidat Aralamo Ashabi Balogun on July 2, 1971. Now 51 years old, she is one of London’s foremost jewellery merchants and when you mention Jamond jewellery, you can as well say SAI. A mum of three lovely daughters, she shook the entire Lagos social establishment in 2021 when she had her 50th birthday celebration—everyone who mattered was present! Fashionable, a party rocker who must have lost the number of Aso Ebi she buys in a month. SAI brings you to her world of class, panache and glamour. In this interview with Owambevibes magazine team, she speaks more about her jewellery business….. Childhood
Born in Lagos Island on July 2, 1971.I schooled at Mayflower Junior and Senior Schools. I was at the Lagos State Polytechnic. My father Alhaji Chief F.S Balogun is from Ijebu Aiyepe; he is 97 years old now. He remains my role model and he is the Afenifere of Aiyepe, the Otun Balogun Adinni of Aiyepe. My mum, Alhaja Ejide Balogun nee Ajibola. Now late, she was a princess from Oba Salami Ajibola, the Olowu of Owu.
Migration to London
I travelled to the United Kingdom in 1993. Migrating to London was easy for me then because I had been in relationship with my kids’ dad from when I was young (he was 18 and I was 16) and he was in London before I went there. God was good to me and I had my firstborn (a girl) when I was 26 years. Within five years I had three kids (my lastborn arrived when I was 30 years) Marriage
That was my first and only marriage. He was and remains a good man. He is a good father to his kids too. Remarriage? No, I don’t think I want to marry again.
Business
I decided delving into business before I had my last daughter. I got to London in 1993 and got my papers in 1994. This helped me in moving from one country to the other. I had my first daughter in Chicago, USA. Then I started buying wares from the US and sold in London. Moreover, I loved buying designers items. I also love good jewellery and started selling on a low scale level. The name JAMOND was coined from the first two letters of my three kids—Jadesola, Monisola and Derinsola. Maybe I became more popular as a jeweler with the advent of social media, especially Facebook and Instagram. I had more customers and currently, I am fully into jewellery.
Jewellery Business
Initially, I concentrated on Marroto Riccardo designs but I also patronise other jewellery brands and designers. Most clients will tell you that they want designs from a particular jeweler, while others will just pick from what you have in your stock. Also, while some clients will want to be enlightened on the difference between the lightweight jewelry and handmade jewellery, you have to be careful on how you explain so as not to offend anyone. A 100 gram of lightweight jewellery and a 100 gram of handmade jewelry is still 100 grams of gold! There is no difference in lightweight and heavyweight jewellery. I don’t hesitate to advise my customers to exercise restraints in buying gold jewelery, lest they run into debts. My take is this, be wise to buy only what you are able to afford at a time.
Challenges of Jewellery Business We are still in business and we give glory to God. There will always be challenges that any entrepreneur will face in business but with strategic planning, there is always a way out. JAMOND is still waxing strong by God’s grace. Dealing with clients who default in payment? Well, I try to touch base with my clients and I subtly remind them of their outstanding payments. We are human and nobody is perfect. In most cases, the default in payment might not be what the client had envisaged. There are some unforeseen circumstances that force the client to default in payment. However, I have been able to re-strategise and map out a payment plan with my clients and this has been working well for me. If you are buying a piece of jewellery worth 2000 pounds and you are putting down 500 pounds as deposit, I will give you a three-month payment plan. Nothing more than three months.
Life Lessons At 50+1 First, I have learnt that positivity and negativity walk hand-in-hand. As one grows, there will be opposition, there will be adversaries because not everyone will love you. Therefore, I cultivated the habit of ignoring negative talks and avoiding negative environment. That way, I am able to keep my sanity and peace.
Friendship Friendship means a lot to me. I love good friendships. Though I have been betrayed a number of times, I still cherish good friends. But I have realized as I grew older that if you love me, I will love you. If you don’t, I will take no notice of you and I would move on.
Intimate Relationship I am not in any affair with any man currently. Not that I don’t get propositions from men, I do. But I am not interested in having any affair now – I want to focus on taking care of my daughters and working on how to improve and expand my business.
Life as a mother
Absolutely wonderful and amazing. I am grateful to God for blessing me with such beautiful girls. They are my best friends. They make me proud and happy. I am blessed to have them in my life and no matter what happens, they will always stand by me. Fashion
I am simple but enjoy combining colours. I love shopping a lot and collecting designer items. I love Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Valentino, Gucci, Chanel and other notable brands. Not that I am so rich and can afford luxury and therefore shop always, No. I take my time and buy in bits. That way, I save money and time.
Style
I love simple jewellery. I don’t like bogus and loud designs. I design my jewellery and I prefer them to be simple and understated.
Choice Fabrics
I have always loved voile, Filtex and HKG. I used to wear HOH but I am not a fan of the brand. However I bought some HOH fabrics because of my 50th birthday photoshoot.
Lesiure I enjoy watching movies a lot and I don’t really like going out. I am an indoor person and enjoy staying at home. My room is my comfort zone.
50th Birthday That was a talk-of-the town party in 2021. I was overwhelmed by the support I got from friends, family members and well wishers. I kept asking myself what have I done to deserve such support from people? The show of love was immense and I thank God that it was a success. I thank everyone who attended and made it a success.
Why I Rode On Horseback I wanted to enter the venue in a Limousine but I dumped the idea. Eventually, I settled for the horse ride. As I entered into the hall, I became very emotional and had to hold back my tears. I thank God for everything.
How I feel at 51 I feel normal. I still feel as if I am in my 30s and I am grateful to God for that. Before my birthday, I would engage in intense prayers and fasting and stay indoors. I also shut myself out of reach from phone calls or visits. I concentrate on prayers. It has been half a century of grace. It has been God all through and I owe Him all the gratitude. My Birthday Wish.. I feel so good and I wish to travel all over the world.

Comments

Popular Posts