Queen Sekinat Aramide Elegushi: Royalty With Sparks Of Style

She is the pretty queen of Ikateland. Married to Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi (Kusenla III), the Elegushi of Ikate Kingdom, Oloori Sekinat Aramide Elegushi is many packs in one. Though fashionable and displaying gorgeousness in a rare form, she is your typical wife, mother and friend who exhibits an unpretentious humane side that beats the imagination. The royal couple celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary and 10 years in the palace a few months ago. Style with Oloori is a lifestyle that is unveiled even with the way the palace is being run. She speaks with Owambevibes team in this interview
Owambevibes: To be one of the most glamorous queens in Africa is no mere feat, how will you describe your style? I don’t think there is any definition for my style. I have just been stylish from when I was young and while still in school. This is because I just like to look good and dress up in anything good. Style also has to do with how and where you live. Owambevibes: Is there a glam team on ground?
I just love to always look good without the help of any stylist. I create my style for designers to make, I think about the colour and the mood of the event I am getting ready for, even my designers know that whenever they are done making my clothes, I'd ask them to bring it to me and still put some last touches that make clothes come more alive and pleasant for the eyes. I don’t like to copy what someone else has done and even if the need arises, I'll still look for another way to make it look more original. Some would humorously tell me to run a fashion house but my husband; the king will not allow me. Owambevibes: Fashion wise, you have succeeded in infusing modernity into an ancient royal culture? I decided adding some new concepts. Take my Iro & Buba as an example. I don't really like the conventional style, so I just changed mine to bell sleeves. Anytime I wear Iro & Buba there is always a little difference with the sleeves from the conventional cut.
Owambevibes: Being one of the youngest and stylish queens has any other queen especially the older ones inspired you? I just try to create my own style but over the years, I liked Olori Ladun Sijuwade and the Oba Tejuosho queens. Owambevibes: How did you meet Oba Saheed Elegushi?
We met at my mum's shop in Lagos Island, precisely the popular Moshalashi Jimoh fabric market. Then, he had a friend close to my mum’s shop and whenever I was not on campus, I’d be at my mum’s shop. It was one of the holidays when I was at the shop that he just approached me. Initially, I turned him down because I tried to avoid many of the young men around that area. He later told me that he told his friend about me but he was told that I would not answer him. But he kept coming and we became friends. I actually found him to be jovial. Then, he pressed on and asked to date me. I was not ready for that because I had my boyfriend. But he pressed on till I couldn’t resist him. Interestingly, I never knew he was a prince because he didn’t talk about it. We started dating and I recall he asked that I hitch a ride with him in a public transport. He wanted me to ride in the molue! I had never done so because I had a car. He finally convinced me and I did. It was a weird experience for me because I ended up sitting on his laps! I think I liked the experience and it formed part of our memories of growing together. I even lost a gold earring during the molue ride!
Owambevibes: When did you consider marriage? At some point, I took him to my father who started asking me many questions. I reminded my father that I was in my final year at the university and I was old enough to have a boyfriend. Meanwhile, SA (as I fondly call my husband) was already observing his youth service outside Lagos. He returned after three months, and we knew we had to get married. My dad was not convinced and gave us a month to think about it. After a month I went back to him that we were ready to get married and the marriage plans started. We had a big wedding and we thank God for how far we had come. Owambevibes: So does he have a nickname he calls you too? Yes, We all call ourselves SA cause it's our initials—I am Sekinat Aramide; he is Saheed Ademola and all our children too bear the same initials—Sofiat Adeteniola; Soliat Ademide; Sarina Abisade.
Owambevibes: What's your favourite food? I’m not much of food person like that but I would say Dodo. Owambevibes: How has it been running a palace for over 10 years? Initially, it was a bit difficult. This was because I didn’t want him to be king and was begging him not to accede to the nomination when his father passed on. Assuring me that all will be well, he allayed my fears.
Owambevibes? Fear? Were you afraid? Well, part of my fear was that he would take another wife. Then, I was pregnant with our third child. At the time he was crowned, I had to return from abroad early with the baby to be with him for the coronation and other rites. Initially, it was a bit challenging as there were many demands, which I wasn’t used to but since I was familiar with some of the palace procedures and the people there, we were able to settle down. That has been 10 years now. We thank God. Owambevibes: How did you receive the news of your husband marrying another woman? It was a tough one for me at that time. I had just lost my mum and I had to cope with that. I didn’t marry a king, I married a young man, who I love and we were growing together, managing and planning. It was really hard at that time; but I came to the realisation that, some of these things come with the demands and pressure of the throne. Why then continue to worry about it? The moment he became a king, I knew issues like this would come up but I have to support and stand by him. Owambevibes: What's your greatest fear in life? Death. But I thank God for his abundant mercy and grace. My husband, my girls and family are all doing well. Owambevibes: Are there still things you desire in life?
I pray for long life to see my husband continue to do well, his kingdom peaceful and developing. I pray to see my girls achieve great feats and become great women in the larger world. In the area of style and fashion, I want to start producing my own perfume and sell them out to the bigger market and I also plan to open a fabric shop too. This is to continue the legacy of my late mum. I also pray I am able to achieve more with the Foundation. We want to reach as many vulnerable women as possible, within and outside our kingdom. I hope to be part of a society where women, regardless of their social or marital status, are not allowed to suffer. Owambevibes: When you are not busy how do you relax? I sleep a lot; I would say sleeping is my hobby. Owambevibes: Who is your favourite designer? I don’t have any I just love everything good and nice. What's your take on violence against women?
Domestic violence, especially violence against women is what I frown upon anytime I am able to add a voice. I don’t encourage women to stay in abusive relationships under any guise. Anyone in an abusive relationship should rather run to stay alive than dying prematurely. I also wish we could have stronger laws to punish offenders, as this will serve as a deterrent. Owambevibes: When and why did you float the QSE Foundation? Well I have been involved with different charities for over five years, supporting their activities and giving back to the society. About two years ago, the need to have our own platform became more important and that was how QSE Foundation came to life. We desire to give Quality and Selfless Empowerment to our women and also support their children. We are doing that and we thank God that we are able to achieve our goals.

Comments

Popular Posts