Exotic Fabrics Give Good Vibes— Funke Akinyera

For one who lost her mum quite early in life, she must have faced quite some challenges.
Fortunately, those challenges built her and made her into the great woman she is today. As a little girl whose mother sold fabrics, she must have developed a passion for the business too. Ekiti-born businesswoman, Mrs. Funke Akinyera isn’t one you would get to read her story on the pages of newspapers or magazines.
Why? “I don’t see any reason why I should be on the pages of any publication. I am a private citizen doing my business and jealously guarding my privacy,” she says.
A Lagos socialite, she is one of the power-dressers the social establishment flaunts. Her love for exotic fabrics is unrivalled and you wouldn’t be surprised that she runs Strictly Brides, one of the most sought-after fabric stores in Lagos. Situated in Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Lagos, Strictly Brides is a go-to store for brides who desire exotic fabrics for their second dresses, their wedding dresses and Aso Ebi for their friends and family members.
Even when you are not a bride, Strictly Brides is still a store to visit at 210B Isale Eko Street, Dolphin Estate. Many fabrics in the store are for socialites and other party goers who want to look good. With a range of luxury fabrics that is not only exquisite, it is not commonplace either. You cannot wear Strictly Brides fabrics to any occasion and not be the cynosure of eyes.
Surprisingly, her daughter, a lawyer, floated the fabrics business. But Aunty Funke, as she is fondly called by her younger friends, took over the business from her daughter, who is busy running her own corporate interior styling outfit and making such impressive impact. With Mrs. Akinyera’s knowledgeable skills on fabric sale and management which she acquired from her mother, Strictly Brides has become a household name in many society circles. “Displaying fabrics is not what pushes the market, you must have a flair for what you are doing,” Akinyera opines when asked to advise young people who are delving into any enterprise.
According to her, passion pushes any business faster than seeking clientele.
“When you are doing what you love, you would go the extra mile in making sure the venture survives. From experience, I believe you are in any business either because you have a flair for it or you have a natural or acquired knowledge of it. I love selling fabrics because I grew up seeing my mum do the business, it comes naturally to me and when my daughter diversified into interior styling, I took over Strictly Fabrics to make the business grow in leaps and bounds.
“Most young people are not too patient with the business growth. They expect ‘sharp sharp’ results and when they don’t get such results, they quit. But business isn’t run that way. There should be room for patience, persistence and perseverance in anything you are doing. That’s my advice for young people,” she observes.
You need to listen to Aunty Funke deliver a talk on fashion. “I like simple fashion that creates room for comfort. I love comfort in fashion and I create my style. Unique fabrics give me good vibes and I don’t compromise on getting good and quality fabrics for myself or the store. The dress I wore for my last birthday was made from a HoH fabric and many are copying that style now because it’s comfortable and easy to wear. Fashion should be comfortable. Moreover, I love good jewellery because it makes part of looking gorgeous.” Before she chooses not to talk again, ask her what puts her off. “Well, I cannot stand dishonest people. Hypocrisy is a sin and I don’t pretend,” she says.

Comments

Popular Posts